YLW is expanding the airport to better meet the needs of our growing region. Our multi-year expansion plans include our largest terminal expansion to date, new parking options, safety and sustainability upgrades, and much more.
Between 2019 and 2029, YLW will invest over $240 million in upgrades to airport infrastructure. The expansion is funded through airport revenues and Airport Improvement Fees and is not funded by tax dollars.
There are more than 30 significant projects planned for 2019. These projects contribute to a more efficient and enjoyable passenger experience at YLW and include:
In 2019, YLW will begin Phase 1 and 2 of the design of the new south terminal.
Phase 1 includes:
- expanded Departures Lounge to improve connections to aircraft gates and increase food and beverage options
- expanded security screening area to reduce the time it takes to clear security
- new direct access to south gates for departing and arriving passengers
- new loading bridge at Gate 2 to accommodate more aircraft
- improved wayfinding
Phase 2 includes:
- expanded terminal building for relocated domestic arrivals area with new baggage carousels
- repurposed existing arrivals area to accommodate larger area for international arrivals and CBSA
- further expansion of the Departures Lounge to increase capacity
- relocated rental car, shuttle and tourism booths
In 2019, YLW will develop new parking areas to accommodate more vehicle parking at the airport.
- 300 new paved parking stalls
- pave 210 existing spaces that are currently gravel
- install new LED lighting, security cameras and phone stations
- Design and construction from 2019-2029
- Upgrades to end-of-life pavement surfaces on the airfield, aprons, taxiways and runway.
This year, YLW is widening the sidewalk from the arrivals area to the west parking lot to improve pedestrian access for passengers and employees.
As part of these upgrades, YLW will also be upgrading the designated smoking area to relocate the shelter and install a water fountain.
Electric vehicle charging stations are coming to an airport near you!
In early 2019, four new electric vehicle charging stations will be located at the Cell Phone Waiting Area, located off Airport Way.