Kelowna International Airport (YLW) is committed to helping passengers who face everyday challenges by removing barriers and offering additional services. YLW is subject to the Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (ATDPR), portions of which come into effect June 25, 2020 with other portions being postponed to December 31, 2020.
Passengers with special needs can contact YLW's Administration Office with any questions about the services or amenities listed below on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We encourage everyone who requires special assistance to inform their airline and pre-arrange ground transportation for their specific needs.
Additional information about the screening process can be obtained from the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) website.
Throughout our airport, YLW strives to maintain a fully accessible facility. Amenities include:
- Accessible parking stalls
- Automatic doors
- Covered loading bridges
- Accessible washrooms
- Mobilift® and passenger loading ramps
- Elevators and ramped walkways
Services for flying
YLW offers a variety of services to assist passengers with physical challenges. Please note the Airport Ambassador Program has been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.
Parking and drop off
- Accessible parking is available in the rows closest to the Terminal, in the short- and long-term lots. YLW also offers a Temporary Accessible Parking Permit Program, which allows travellers to take their current Accessible Parking Permit with them as they travel, so it can be used at their destination. A permit can be picked up from the Airport Valet Booth. For more information, call 778-753-3735.
- Accessible drop-off locations are available in front the Terminal.
Arrival and check-in
- Airport Terminal entrances are equipped with automated sliding doors.
- The Departures Lounge check-in area is equipped with designated priority self-service check-in kiosks for persons with disabilities.
- Lowered check-in ticket counter ledges have been incorporated into the counters for wheelchair accessibility.
Wheelchairs are available at the airline check-in desk or by request of an Airport Ambassador.
Security screening and personal assistance
- Security Escort Passes are available at the airline check-in counter. These temporary passes allow for a family member or aid to escort a passenger in need of special assistance through security to their departure gate. Our specially trained Airport Ambassadors are also available to escort passengers with special needs through pre-board screening into the departures area.
- Wheelchair service is available by the airline from the check-in area to the departure gate and onto the aircraft. Advance notice to the airline when making the flight reservation is helpful. Electric cart service is not available.
- Accessible inter-terminal transportation is not applicable at Kelowna International Airport. There is only one air terminal.
- Autism Travel Resources: YLW has partnered with Canucks Autism Network to develop a resource kit to assist families and individuals living with autism. Access the kit.
- Text TeleType (TTY) is located in the arrivals area (adjacent to baggage claim #1) and near the business centre in the Departures Lounge.
- Service animals can be relieved in the designated landscaping area to the right of the Arrivals exit doors at the centre of the Terminal. Signage is installed in this area.
- Language assistance can be provided in most circumstances. Contact Airport Administration to inquire about employees or volunteers that speak various languages, including sign language.
- Accessible ground transportation can be provided by many of our car rental agencies, taxi and shuttle companies; however, advanced booking is required. For a list of accommodating companies and their contact information, please visit our transportation page.
Complaints can be directed to Airport Administration by phone at 250-807-4300 or email at email@example.com.
If your complaint is not resolved, the Canadian Transportation Agency offers a dispute resolution service.