Sky banner

Frequently asked questions

How soon before my flight departs should I be at the airport?

If you are travelling within Canada, you should be at the airport no later than 90 minutes prior to the departure of your flight.

If you are travelling internationally, you should be at the airport at least two hours before departure.

Who do I contact if I need special assistance?

Kelowna International Airport (YLW) is committed to helping passengers who face everyday challenges by removing barriers and offering additional services.

Passengers with special needs are welcome to contact  YLW's Administration Office with any questions about the services or amenities listed below. We also encourage those who require special assistance to inform their airline of their specific needs.

Additional information about the screening process can be obtained from the Canadian Transportation Agency's website .

To view this page through the Access to Travel website, please click here .


Throughout our airport, YLW strives to maintain a fully accessible facility. Amenities include:

  • Accessible parking stalls
  • Automatic doors
  • Covered loading bridges
  • Accessible washrooms
  • Mobilift®
  • Elevators and ramped walkways


YLW also offers a variety service to assist passengers with physical challenges. 

  • Wheelchairs are available at the airline check-in desk or by request of an Airport Ambassador.
  • Security Escort Passes are available at the airline check-in counter. These temporary passes allow for a family member or aid to escort a passenger in need of special assistance through security to their departure gate. Our specially trained Airport Ambassadors  are also available to escort passengers with special needs through pre-board screening into the departures area.
  • Text phone teletype centre is located in the arrivals terminal (to the immediate left of the car rental booths) and near the business centre in the departures lounge. Pay text phone teletype centres are available for hearing or speech-impaired patrons.
  • Service animals can be relieved in the designated landscaping to the right of the Arrivals exit doors. Please note that due to a local bylaw other dogs and pets in general are not allowed in the terminal unless properly contained within their traveling cases.
  • Language assiastance can be provided in most circumstances. Contact  Airport Administration to inquire about employees or volunteers that speak various languages, including sign language.
  • Accessible ground transportation can be provded by many of our car rental agencies, taxi and shuttle companies; however, advanced booking is required. For a list of accommodating companies and their contact information, please visit our  transportation page .
Can I reserve a parking spot for my vehicle?

There is no reservation system for parking; however, with over 2,600 parking stalls you shouldn't have any concerns for parking during the regular season.

YLW has a Gold Pass program for the lot directly in front of the terminal. See the parking information page regarding the Gold Pass program and parking fees.

Holiday Travel: Parking will be limited during this peak holiday travel period. Alternative transportation is recommended.

Do you have shuttle service from the long-term lot to the terminal?

Yes, there is a shuttle from the long-term lot to the terminal building.

Look for the well marked Toyota hybrid with the orange flags. It is generally parked near the entrance to the lot or at the South entrance of the terminal building. Give the driver a wave and they will follow you to your parking spot to give you a free lift to the terminal. You can also call 250-765-5612 for a pickup.

Please note: Shuttle service may not always be available in the overflow lots.

What can I bring in my carry-on and checked luggage?

Avoid surrendering items and guarantee that your valuables make it through security screening with you. Search the CATSA website to see which items to pack in your carry-on and checked baggage.

Holiday Travel: If you're bringing gifts, leave them unwrapped as they may need to be inspected. Baked goods are allowed as carry-on.

What does the security screening process entail?

Please refer to the CATSA website for information on security screening and tips for making the process a breeze.

My flight is delayed or cancelled because of weather – who do I call?

Contact your airline to confirm the status of your flight.

If the flight has been cancelled, do not come to the airport but instead rebook from home. If the flight is delayed but scheduled to operate, check the status of the flight and leave plenty of time to check in.

My luggage didn't arrive at the airport - what do I do?

Please contact your airline directly for questions regarding lost luggage.

West Jet

Air Canada

Alaska Airlines

Pacific Coastal Airlines

Central Mountain Air

NewLeaf Travel Company

Air North, Yukon's Airline
1-800-661-0407 ext. 778

Air Transat

Sunwing Airlines

How can I get a job at the airport?

Interested in joining the YLW Team?

YLW is municipally owned and operated. To view career opportunities with the City of Kelowna, please view the City's Career's Page.

To find employment opportunities with one our tenants, please contact them directly.

Does YLW have a departure tax?

There is a $15 Airport Improvement Fee at the Kelowna International Airport for each departing (non-connecting) passenger.

This fee is collected by the airlines on behalf of YLW when your ticket is purchased. For further details concerning this fee, contact the Airport Administration office at 250-807-4300.

Is there a fee for the use of the baggage carts?

Baggage carts are available free of charge. They are located in the terminal, on the front curb at the departures entrance and in key spots in the parking lots.

What shops and services are available before and after security?

YLW offers passengers a number of shops, restaurants and services for your convenience. See the shops and services page for more information.

Can I fly a drone near the airport?

Airports are No Drone Zones!

More and more people are flying drones and UAVs. Transport Canada regulates their use to keep the public and other airspace users safe. Before you take to the skies, make sure you understand the rules and follow them. Not doing so could put lives at risk and cost you up to $25,000 in fines and/or jail time.

Learn more on the Transport Canada website.

What kind of identification do I need?

Requirements can vary depending on whether you are travelling domestically or internationally so you should check with your airline. Be sure to have valid government issued photo identification for all flights. All passengers, including Canadian and U.S. citizens, are required to present a valid passport when travelling by air between Canada and the United States.

If you are not a Canadian or American and you are travelling to the United States, please apply for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). ESTA is an on-line application system developed by the United States government to pre-screen travellers before they are allowed to travel into the United States.

Are there special requirements for children?

Specific documentation may be required for children under 18, especially if they are not being accompanied by a parent or guardian. Confirm details with your airline or visit the Government of Canada Travel Website for more information about travelling with children.

I am flying with my pet - what should I know?

For specific questions regarding the flight please contact your airline.

At YLW, a relieving area for pets has been designated in the landscaping to the right of the Arrivals exit doors. Please note that due to a local bylaw dogs and pets in general, other than service animals, are not allowed in the terminal unless properly contained in their travelling case.